Lifeblue is currently on a quest to find a Senior Interactive Art Director that shares our determination to save the world from bad design.
Who We Are
Lifeblue is a digital agency in McKinney, TX focusing on working with organizations and institutions that impact the world in a positive way. We’re an iterative, experimental collective of design thinkers and doers that will challenge everything you think you know about digital design agencies. We are a small, tight-knit group of dreamers and schemers. We are entrepreneurs that embrace working outside of our comfort zone, and love to take on the big “what ifs” of the Web. With clients like Dallas Morning News, Heifer International, Perot Museum of Nature and Science and many others, there is no shortage of places where your experience and contributions will make a difference. We are passionate about learning and making a difference in our clients' businesses through creating sound strategies and amazing user experiences.
Working here means working with purpose-driven innovators, including a few that might even be smarter than you. You'll be collaborating with experts in a diverse range of backgrounds, including economics, game design, teaching, computer science, writing, fine art, environmental graphic design, mathematics, history, music and public speaking.
Who You Are
You are a master of your craft. You are a problem-solver, a restless design thinker and avid learner. You understand the value of making things aesthetically pleasing and where art needs to take a back seat to function. Business acumen isn't just a resume bullet point, you relish in creating opportunities that will make the project super successful for the client. More than creating something beautiful to look at, you strive to create a meaningful experience. (But who are we kidding, it’s gonna be beautiful). At this point in your career you also have grown a knack to helping others achieve your level of mastery.
You aren't paralyzed by your failures and continually embrace new challenges for growth. You thrive in a fast-paced, iterative environment, keeping your gloves off and your sense of humor on. You don't let your job role define you, and seek to actively participate and collaborate in all phases of a project. You also keep close tabs on current and emerging trends. You know when to follow the trailblazers of the industry, and when to tune them out and blaze your own trail.
To you, design is not just a phase, and there is no “pencils down” hand-off. Your toolbox goes beyond Photoshop and Illustrator – you're a sketcher, prototyper, believer and preacher of the principles of visual and interaction design, master and innovator of the creative process, and quite likely have a fascinating hobby. You have some mad skills:
- 3-5 years of interactive experience through defining and driving both the design process and direction of small and large projects for the Web
- Formal education in design and/or the ability to demonstrate a thorough understanding of design principles
- A killer online portfolio demonstrating and clearly indicating the range of your design skills, styles and expertly executed interactive work experience (hopefully highlighting or showcasing your digital work)
- Confident and effective communication and presentation skills with both team members and clients of various levels
- Jedi mastery of Adobe Creative Suite and Sketch, among other tools. (Sith-mastery is also acceptable.) Mastery of your motion graphics tool of choice is a big plus.
- A good grasp on how comps translate to code
- Self-motivation and a proven track record of delivering projects on time and on budget
- A team player through and through; egos get checked at the door (this one’s non-negotiable)
- Have "designer morals" and know when to compromise them
- A fearless and wild imagination coupled with an obsessive attention to detail
- Enjoy (and skilled at) presenting to clients in a way that makes them understand and ultimately smarter
- Be sincere about giving and receiving meaningful constructive feedback, and on board with the concept of Radical Candor
- Bonus: You are active and participate in the local DFW design community
- Hint: This job is well suited for someone looking to make moves towards a Creative Director role, but who is not quite ready to put down the paint brush yet.
What You'll Be Doing
The future of design depends on you, so expect to:
- Throw out any preconceived notions of the industry label “production designer” – you won't be minding your own business, designing for design's sake, or crankin' out PSDs
- Provide innovative, adaptable and inspiring creative solutions for interactive experiences
- Execute design direction from concept to production
- Get immersed in your clients' business and balance design, strategy and their business objectives
- Not work in a silo; our designers work together with our developers and producers to create the best client and team experience possible. There are no hand-offs around here.
- Work closely with other team members to ensure creative concepts and tactics are on brand and strategically sound
- Demonstrate the ability to think on your feet, and articulate complex solutions clearly
- Exercise sound business acumen with the ability to make decisions, thinking beyond artistic drivers
- Proudly demonstrate and communicate your intimate knowledge of information design and user interface design
- Give and receive constructive feedback (like a lot)
- Exemplify leadership abilities and foster learning, excellence and innovation among team members
Why You'll Be Doing It
What you really came here for: the perks. At Lifeblue we offer:
- The opportunity to save the world from bad design
- Competitive compensation, profit sharing, health/vision/dental benefits, 401(k)
- 3 months paid maternity leave, 1 month paid paternity leave
- Flexible scheduling, meaning no set “work hours”
- Flexible vacationing, meaning no limiting “vacation policy” (and yes, people actually take vacation here)
- A casual-dress, and a results-only work environment
- A healthy professional development budget you can use to go to conferences, take classes, buy books, etc.
- Work alongside a purpose-driven team of exceptional people that balance truth and passion
- A constantly collaborative environment
- Video games, office music, board games, group events, team sports, and a great sense of camaraderie to help keep everyone sane and foster their creativity & productivity
- The opportunity to shape the company – we need your expertise
- A culture that fosters growth and pushes you to reach further personally and professionally
Lifeblue is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We not only embrace diversity, but celebrate it and are committed to creating an inclusive and safe work environment for all of our employees.